Education seminars provide up-to-date information on the latest in lighting design, technique, and technologies. Furthermore, you can earn valuable CEU and LEU credits by taking part. Check back soon for a comprehensive list of upcoming educational seminars and events!
IES MSP is happy to announce a new educational opportunity provided by IESNA! This course is a great 7 Module Precursor to our Fundamentals of Lighting (FOL) series, taught in the spring. See below and click here for complete information.
Welcome to Introduction to Lighting!
Introduction to Lighting was developed by Dan Blitzer, Principal of The Practical Lighting Workshop, and the Illuminating Engineering Society education team to provide a fast-paced and practical understanding of lighting vocabulary, equipment, regulations, and practices. No prior lighting experience is required.
Why learn about light?
The overall objective of the course is a broad introduction to the technology and practice of lighting with emphasis on recognizing and applying lighting principles and technical terminology.
1. Explore the physics and interaction of light and human vision.
2. Explain the key terminology and attributes of light source families and types.
3. Describe the attributes and applications of luminaires.
4. Describe the attributes and applications of lighting controls.
5. Identify the codes, regulations, and standards that govern and guide lighting practice.
6. Survey lighting economics and maintenance strategies.
1: How We See
2: Light Generation
3: Light Sources
4: Directing Light
5: Controlling Light
6: Lighting Codes and Standards
7: Maintaining Lighting Systems
This course is comprised of seven themed modules. Each module must be completed in order because the information you learn is cumulative, later concepts in the course do call upon previously learned vocabulary and ideas. As you watch the videos, each lasting between 17 min and 35 min. Each video contains a tremendous amount of information, so pause to take notes as you need to. You can also rewatch videos as you need to. Once you’ve watched a video in its entirety, the corresponding quiz will unlock within each module. Use your notes to take each quiz; you have unlimited attempts to pass them. Upon successful completion of each quiz the next module will unlock. You can complete one or two modules in a sitting – and come back later – or complete all seven at once. You may revisit this course any time by visiting My eLearning Dashboard in the menu to the left. There is no minimum time frame to complete this course, your registration will never expire.
Expect to spend 4 hours on this course from start to finish (including the quizzes). Once you pass the last module (Module 7), a certificate of completion is available for immediate download. Due to the introductory level of the information presented in Introduction to Lighting, this course does not qualify for IES CEUs.
Completing this course:
1. Activate the Introduction and watch the video. Module 1 will then unlock.
2. Activate Module 1. Watch the video in its entirety, and pass the quiz.
3. After each completed (passed) quiz, move on to the next module by clicking BACK TO PACKAGE and activating the next module.
4. Repeat the process of activating the Module, viewing the videos, and completing the quiz.
5. After passing the last quiz in Module 7, take a brief 3-question survey. The Certificate of Completion will then unlock for download.
If you love what you learn in Introduction to Lighting we recommend then planning on participating in the Fundamentals of Lighting course IES MSP offers each spring. Fundamentals of Lighting (commonly abbreviated as FOL) is a 10-module course that provides an in-depth introduction to lighting taught in person.